Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Electricity and Elections

I was still in my hometown, Ipoh, when the electricity supply to 5 states in the northern of Peninsular Malaysia was cut off. When it happened, my mum was busy calling friends and relatives elsewhere, everywhere in Perak, outside of Ipoh, and soon we came to a conclusion that a mass cut off of electricity supply had occurred at that time. Never we knew that, it was not just Perak, but also 4 other states, namely Perlis, Kedah, Penang, and Kelantan, that suffered!

This incident reminds me of the finding of electricity. If you guys have known me long and well, you must know that I have asked many times what is human greatest and useful finding? And my answer is always electricity. Don't you think it is true? Humans will all be paralysed by the "disappearance" of electricity. Things cannot be done! Everything will come to a halt! Chaos! Trafffic madness! Perplex! No more sense of direction! It is like human life is literally stopped and become static. What a simple but wonderful formula V = IR. My utmost respect for all electrical engineers will continue to stay and soar!

Elections! Yeah... as many political-seers in Malaysia are busy speculating when the next general election is going to be, UM is going to have its next student representatives election in a couple of days. This time around, it really catches my attention and my blogging gland to blog about it! Why? I was in Faculty of Accountancy and Business this morning as I was attending my "luar fakulti" (Financial Planning) lecture there, where I saw banners and posters being pasted and put up here and there. To my surprise, majority of the election candidates are chinese! In fact I can see more chinese candidates' banners and posters than the malays'. Maybe, the Malays have not actually geared up. I don't know.

Nonetheless, it is already obvious that the number of chinese candidates has increased quite tremendously. At this point, I wonder what is the main force that drives them (the chinese) to involve in politics because I don't really think that interest is the main reason. One of the many chinese candidates is my ex-schoolmate and roommate, who is currently in his final year of study in sports science. As far as I am concerned, politics didn't seem to be of a topic of talk between him and me. And I was complaining to Fooji all the time that I can't really find any friends who have the interests and can discuss politics with me. But now, this ex-roommate of mine is contesting for a place in the Council of Students' Representatives. I am in confusion. Have I not made deep efforts, all these while to talk politics with people or it is just that, people around me now have different thinking already and politics has become a part in their lives? or it is just for the sake of contesting?

Another chinese candidate, from my faculty, never seems to be a serious person for his outward look. From his appearance, you will have an impression that this guy ain't going to talk serious stuffs, looks rather playful and not interested in pursuing real academic excellency (just for the sake of getting a degree attitude), how much more about politics! I apologise for my spooky, cocky, bias, and judgemental statements. I would eat back my words at anytime if I am proven wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home