Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Have you ever wondered why some people are watching over gates and people from 9-5, while others are achieving BIG things like managing a multinational company, saving human lives and doing continuous research? It all boils down to attitude and character. Which brings me to my main topic. I was at Abbott Laboratories today (yes, Boon Teong, your dad's company) looking for sponsorship. I was met at the gate by this Indian guy named Daniel. Politely, I explained the reason for my presence and visit. But was it reciprocal? NO way. I was treated like lesser than a criminal, disallowed entrance and served to a dose of rudeness unparalled even in Petaling Street. Turned away, but not turned off, I retreated to the car and made a phone call to the manager, who politely invited me in for a quick discussion. Back at the gate, I flaunted the invitation. Man, it was a rare experience- seeign an Indian guy turn red. Anyway, his own attitude and character have relegated him to be stuck at the gate for the rest of his youth. So much for an inflated ego and not knowing where he stands. Personality and values, indeed, make the person. Have a nice day, Daniel...wherever you are....but then again...where else can you be but the gate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home