Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Friday, June 06, 2003

To all Ipoh Tauges faithful co-bloggers and visitors,

It has been a while since I last posted any serious, somber, mind-boggling, and honest message. The previous being the one regarding the hotted up issue of “the special privileges of the Bumiputras and the seemingly positive discrimination policy” before the recent manifestation of the lack of transparency merit system, which is widely acclaimed to be all fair and justifiable by the Education Ministry, in evaluating and assessing matriculation and STPM students who applied for university seats.

The Education Ministry, in fact, in the press statement and conference, stated and verified that the number of intake for Bumiputras was higher due to the matriculation good results and performance. Was it all to show that meritocracy had prevailed? Is it wise or fool to pool and judge horses and donkeys together using the same criteria? Or does it make sense in the first place?

I did not voice up as loud and as vehement as I could. Again, I was holding to my principle to remain mediocre. I was saddened that many young, brilliant, and vastly aspirated Chinese were denied and subjected to the man-made fate that their matriculation counterparts were better. Because of the deluded fate, they would have to settle for less desirable and professional courses or universities. 2 years of hard and persistent toils and efforts tossed into deep oceans? Less than 2 years of easy-going and relaxing studies too greatly and unfairly awarded?

I wouldn’t deny and controvert that to score perfectly, or straight A’s in STPM, you really need to be extremely hardworking, vigilant, persevere and having a strict self discipline and time management though I sometimes feel that it is not so complicated and tough. To the Chinese who have gained seats in University, I hope they will be thankful and appreciative, and will not be so ignorant and self-justified as what I have seen in many after my 2 years in University of Malaya.

My close friend and a vigorous blogger as he is, Chee Hoe, was asking whether he is criticizing too much in his blog. My comment is criticizing and complaining are not totally bad and detrimental. Whether positive or negative, white or black, boastful or humble, a point deserved to be heard and criticized in return. Certainly, we must also see how we well we could handle, administer, and manage problems if we are placed in those positions that the individuals we are lambasting, are currently holding. Most often than not, we only know how to open our big mouths but when we are actually ordained to carry out missions, we fair miserably!
Sometimes, we do need to apprehend and get a clearer and finer view of a matter. Before my industrial training, I was very upset at how slow and lethargic University of Malaya in developing an online system to resolve the registration enigma. I was profoundly edified after my 4 months training. Things seem so easy and hassle-free on the outwards are actually the productions and results of tedious, tiresome, and intense strive by many dedicated persons on the inwards.

By the way, I decided to entrust my 9 precious credit hours in a newly explored areas of reseach! Quantum Computing! Maybe you think I am carzy...perhaps yes! I want to help my Prof in his research also...which is lacking in the hearts of many Malaysians...hopefully we will be able to discover some new ideas that will revolutionize the computer world. Too ambitious? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home