Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

UM Polling Day - 4th of September 2003

Tomorrow, Thursday, the 4th of September 2003, is UM polling day and yet one more time (the last one in fact), I shall fulfill my responsibility to cast my vote. I know my responsibility as a UM student and an eligible voter, but frankly, I do not know who I am going to vote for. After all, I do not know who are contesting! Whatever the outcome is going to be, I hope that those chosen will justify and uphold their more than perfect manifestos, and more importanty, champion the rights for voices of students to be heard.

A question which has always been prominent regarding UM's election is, how far is the election free from the influences of external-national-level political parties? As far as I am concerned, candidates are basically divided into 2 categories, one is pro-gov (obviously pro-BN) and the other one, correspondingly, is anti-gov (anti-BN lah tu!). These two coalitions are then comprised of smaller parties, which I don't know at all how they move about and how they function?!

I was ackowledged by one of my friends that one of the small parties is UMANY, which is mainly a Chinese anti-gov party in UM. I read a notice this evening at the Faculty of Accountacy. The notice reads that UMANY is no longer a registered association in UM, nor it is free to hold any activities, in short, it is "haram"! With regard to this, I assume that many of the Chinese contesting, are of the pro-gov side. I am not surprised. After all, do they really understand what politics is all about? Or they are just and lured and making use of the huge amount of money allocation from the gov and to stand for latter in UM? I wonder whether they can see justice and "fighting for rights" above glory and glamour?

One Malay candidate in my fac, who also happens to be my coursemate (same major with me), was campaigning when I bumped into his crowd of supporters. I was wondering, am still thinking, would I and could I, vote for a "faithful" all-time smoker and class escapee?!?!

In fact, living in this world is full of wonders and thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home