Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Way Down Under

I'll be leaving for New Zealand on 26 May. It's not for holiday....not solely anyway. The real purpose is because I'll be doing my attachment there. It can be considered as LI (latihan industri). We can choose to do our attachment anywhere, and I chose to go to NZ.

How did NZ come about? I was lucky to have met Kay Solomon, a speech therapist from NZ when she came to KL to give a workshop during MCare 25th Anniversary dinner. I have MCare and New Horizons to thank for giving me this opportunity. The rest is history. I contacted Kay-she helped me arrange things in NZ- and I get things done from my uni. This has been in planning for about a year and now I'll be off in a week.

Of course of living expenses will be bore by yours truly (as if my department will sponsor all students who want to go abroad). I will be taking my PTPTN to fund this. I will be burning a big hole in my bank account. A smaller hole than is needed as my dad has kindly offered to sponsor my air ticket. The catch? To pay for my parents' future vacation. Which I'll do gladly.

I'll be attached to Allenvale School in Christchurch for 3 weeks. It's a special school. The reason why I wanted to go to an advanced country, at least in the area of disability, is to widern my scope. I want to look at and learn more from the system there. I would really see how they run special schools and also their programme. What better way of doing that than to go there myself. I thank God for such wonderful opportunity.

Of course, I'll be taking a week for travelling. All the way there and not travel? I'll be backpacking...alone. Rather adventurous...but I'm looking forward to it. I don't mind not having a company. I guess, I want to try travelling alone.

And yes, I'm travelling alone to and fro and within NZ. I'll be grateful for your prayers. I hope to keep you updated while I'm in NZ. Meanwhile....back to packing headache. Do I need this? Should I bring that? And it's winter in NZ. I'll be frozen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home