Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Fooji, Kok Ming and Ben : Thanks once again! As I what I had blogged this morning, I will not be away forever and shall continue to blog here if whatever and whenever I feel like sharing.
Okay, this semester, I am honoured that I am taught by at least 3 or 5 fantastic lecturers or professors. For my luar fakulti course, "Personal Financial Planning, the lecturer is Dr.M.Fazilah, a caring and friendly lecturer, able to communicate with her students, and crack funny jokes which are really jokes (get what I mean?). For my final year project, I have chosen to be supervised by Dr.Selva, whom everyone describes as strict and expecting a lot from students under him. Regardless of what people say, I chose him to be my supervisor and I sincerely trust and believe myself that he is a superb lecturer and researcher or professor. You know, this kind of lecturer should be commended, a lot of substance and yet never demand anything from you, compared to some others, who have nothing but seem to talk big all the time. In fact, I am doing my thesis under him, picking a tough title because in the end of the day, I will be satisfied and you know can help me a lot if I am to apply to study my master in the States, preferably Stanford Univerity :) At least a professor can be one of my judges. Besides Dr.M.Fazilah and Dr.Selva, I would also like to praise and express my admiration to the law lecturers, again Chew Li Hua and Puan Izura. Though pretty very strict and punctual, (mind you, Chew Li Hua will lock the lecture hall's doors once the clock strikes 9am), she again, has the substance, ingenious, able to explain the laws, the courts, the legislative structure in Malaysia, how constitution is made and amended, and ask questions which have no right or wrong questions and why certain laws are passed like ass, she literally said that word in one of the lectures. Hey, again, this is no big deal right? For the sake of knowledge! I have learned that successful individuals never have "kiasu" or selfishness attitude. My question is, why and where university students in Malaysia inculcate and cultivate such attitude? Blame the society? the culture? the poor structuring of our education system? or altogether? or the "bangsa Eropah"? To discuss this and share my opinions, it would require me to type another long 20K mail :) Before I leave, shouldn't we see the positive side of the Europeans and the Americans? Even our great writer, Farish Noor, being a Malay, chose to stay in German to lecture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home