Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Thursday, February 05, 2004

UNIX/Linux vs Windows

Yesterday, I showed my Final Year Project, a Java application to my supervisor. We had some discussions upon which he asked me to execute the application in other platforms besides Windows. After all, Java is a multiplatform language. Therefore, he, being a full Prof and an Ir now, gave me the privillege to use a powerful 4 processors (MIPS) machines, under the Irix operating systems (a kind of Unix), 2Gigs of memory (imagine!) to run my application! It is a whole different thingy! Compared to Windows, truly Unix/Linux has a lot more to offer despite the lack of GUI or user friendliness. Thank you Dr. Selva for your kindness and interest on me to have a touch or two on the Tezro machine produced by Sillicon Graphics and also to have some experiences handling Unix/Linux OS. I appreciate a lot.. very grateful indeed! =) BTW, I have ported the applet version of my project to my website, if you have Java Run Time installed, you can try it here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home