Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

My Rosy Hope for An Auspicious Year of The Monkey...
Ushering into the Year of Monkey, my ripples of feeling are coalesced into a tidal wave of tremendous and tangible excitement. But at the same time I'm also dismay with my fortune throughout the year, which anticipating that those who borned in the year of monkey will not have a smooth ride this year in some aspects - turbulent career, bloodsheding, freaky accident, lack of luck in gambling, investment or other activities which involve high risks et cetera. Hence, I'll always behave in highest precaution, high-sensible, and turn on the alarm for self-protection; and I hope the others who face the same circumstance will do so as well.

I was back for CNY in a deep late at night in my uncle's car before the arrival of CNY Eve. I didn't expect any activities will be done on this day as I thought there will be the once-per-year family reunion to have a joyous "Tuan Yuen Fan". Ha.. YPing called for first secondary school alumni "assembly" after the family merriment. Thus, with the jovial mood, I went and joined the gathering. Finally, we decided to find a serene ambience for a long-time chatting since it was quite a long time that everyone rubs shoulders with the others, and thus we made up our mind to go to Greentown Business Centre, where there are lots of moderate open-air chill-out cafe and pub-lounge. Time went off admist our light moment before the gathering was ended at 4am, nevertheless, we had "embarked" on our next precious gathering in the following days.

Nevertheless, after 4 hours lying in my soggy bed, I was out again as there is our tradition to have half-day vegetarian savour during the first day of CNY. After the morning sumptous breakfast at one vegetarian eatery, I was back home for short rest before proceeding to next "venture" - again - a traditional gathering at Miss Chong (our secondary school teacher) house. This time, around 20 of us went there by 5 cars, and we were welcomed by Miss Chong with the huge smile. This year, her home seem more "energistic" and "invigorating" with the arrival of her first cute baby. With a fair skin and dewy complexion as well as being a "chit" who seldom seem without a smile, yet she was the centre of happiness creator who entertained everyone much of the time. Around 7pm, we had our delightful savour at Ipoh Garden before we were back to Menglembu for our next activities.

SInce some of them needed to have their invigorating shower for stamina infusion, thus some of us started our mahjong game first before the big crowd were congregated. KPek, declaring herself as an "infant" in playing mahjong, began her straighted-game win and her gambling spirit was so high until chivvying us to surrender even with the empty wallet. Haha.. the article I read before really told the truth - nothing brings out the real character of a person better than indulging themselves into a intriguing mahjong table. But, after the change of monetary system, it was the turn from LFun and me to win the game. I was feeling nothing as I'm not a mahjong aficionado, but both of them was apparently emerged as the demon on the mahjong table - curling up, shrieking and hugging each other vaguely. Nevertheless, all were still under self-control, as we played it merely for fun and time killing, and thus our relationship would be much fostered rather than the vise versa. But really, her teddy-bear face with the pensive clinch, as well as her behaviour of curling up unexpectedly throughout the game was quite ludicrous, yet affectionate. Around 10pm, we continue our next round of gambling in MFah's house. We played poker, sitting in circle on the floor. Indeed, I was really overjoyed with this merriment, and I was much grateful of having this opportunity to mingle around with all my old friends. The happy face with jovial mood had revealed the total indulgence among my alumni and albeit they still needed to continue their tough life and tedious work after CNY, chained to this money-obsessed world, but for the time being, all they want was the precious merriment and a genuine and never-ending friendship.

Around 2am, we headed to next destination as some of them grumbled for a little peckish. So, YOnn and YSin went to market to buy some roasted meat and chicken and the rest waited at CHoon's house. YSin even "sacrificed" the front part of his car for putting on the food and drinks - the water-mouthing roasted meat and chicken, canned drinks, alcoholic drinks, chocolates, NY cookies and nuts et cetera. Again, we indulged ourselves immersely with this appetising "supper" meanwhile we chat in jest in that humid and cold midnight, watching the semi-blazed moon light. And that was how I ended my first day of CNY at around 4am.

I had my Form 6 alumni reunion during the second day of CNY, but the attendance was much dampened and disheartened. Early in the morning at 9am, VChin paid me a visit before we departed to CHoe's house. We were the first group reaching his house, and followed by KMing, WKean, CYit, KFatt and BQuen. Not only that, our Indian pals - Jason, Ruben and Joshua seem celebrated this Chinese festive also by paying a visit to CHoe's house. It was quite a pleasure to meet them. Thanks to VChin who was willing to fetch me and visit old friends from house to house. Nevertheless, it might not an opportune day as majority of our friends declared their status of being outstation and busy which hardly spare some time to join us. At about 12noon, we departed to YFern's, WKeng's and SYee's house respectively. We were given the warmest welcome by them. Likewise, they also pronounced their dissatisfaction of meeting the same people (VChin and me) every year. Hahaha... what could we do as everyone was busying with their own visit or other stuffs. I suggested that in the following year, maybe it is a wise option to know their day and time of availability during CNY via email 1 month before the joyous festival celebration so that it won't come to a mess. Of course, if possible, choose someone who is enduring, shrewed and with high calibre, such as CHoe or VChin, I reckoned. At around 5pm, I drove off to my grandmum's house for dinner. It is poised to be the tradition that all abroaded relatives to come back for family reunion at the elder's house (for my case - my grandmum house) during CNY. It was such a different kinda vibe to meet up with all my uncles and aunts, as well as cousins with heartfelt chatting. But sometimes we bumped into situation where we looked at each other quizzically and smile slightly. I thought - this might be factor of haven't met for a longish time.

After back home for taking bath, I accompanied my parent to pay a visit to my fifth aunt's house. I was a little disappointed of knowing that 3 of her children (my cousins) celebrated the CNY at Sydney. Anyway, I was with a relief knowing that their stable and happy life in Australia after the revelations from my fifth aunt. At about 11pm, as pledged, I went for the "yum cha" session with my primary school alumni at Curry House at the newly-developed area of Impiana Adril. During the reunion, again, I was so pleasant to notice a sign of bright careers with them currently - factory coordinator, accounting firm auditor, web developer, insurance unit sales manager et cetera. After that, we headed to LSan's house after someone suggested for playing poker. Hahaha.. that night the lucky star was not besides me and I excused myself before losing more. The next day, I got to know from WHoo that WHoong was the big winner. It didn't come into my astonishment because WHoong, despite borned in the year of 1980, but according to the Chinese calendar, his born before CNY is categorised to the year of goat. So, no wonder that this "goat" could reap the money from the other "monkeys" who would be lack of luck in gambling. Haha.. since when I became so superstitious..

Candidly said that I was very exhausted with the previous days' non-stop activities that disallow me to have a sweet sleep in comfy slumberland. Hence, I overslept during the third day of CNY. When I woke up on that splendid day, the wall clock showed 12noon. After self-cleaning and well-claded up, I went back to my grandmum house for lunch. The dishes were very appetiting as a series of lucrative food were showcased on the table - deep-fried fish served in a sauce made from chilli padi, fish sauce and spring onions, crispy roasted meat, greeny kailan, hand-made appetizer meat ball et cetera. After filling full my stomach, WYik was too kind and unstinting to come and fetch me at around 2pm. So the house visit schedules were immediately hammered out, with the first destination back to YHoo's house, then WYin's and finally YSin's. The suggestion to watch movie finally chipped away in vain since the telephone ticket reservation was hardly connected. The final consensus after a jiffy - would be another round of gathering at YSin's house which was held similiarly last year, where I still remember vividly how our guys and gals fooled around at YSin' house the whole night until the next morning's breakfast.

We started our activities by singing the karaoke. This year, I managed to overcome my timid feeling and started singing. My voice was much monstrously terrible compared with the gals' crooning. Anyway, WYik still rounded off in their trademark style - "notice meticulously first before further action", and was reluctant to pick up the singing stick to croon, albeit seeing him gapping his mouth with the sweet voice during the karaoke session. And YSin was still shy and humiliated to sing too. After that, the poker session was started as everyone wished to. Everyone really couldn't reject the excitement and high-spirit in immersing the "In-Between" game (including me), since the feeling was likely riding on the windswept roller-coaster, underpinned with the spiralling upwards and downwards of the accumulated money. Nevertheless, MFah, adopting get rid of involving in the game, had done her good job by sheding her body language of demureness and rectitude. Thus, she was requested to do the poker delivery. The most wacky event not better than my irresistable invitation of "just 20 cent, you might win back the accumulated RM20". And PWan, who giving up the game initially, was back on swift action with feisty determination to win back the pennies she losed. Haha.. eventually, as overall she still have a little lose in the game. Final result - YSin and SMing became the main game losers, yet the depressing mood never bare their inner pyshe and core, which should be given the thumbs-up. WYik and me, for the first time won the game and of course, based on the never-changed "rules and regulation", we would allocate some pennies for treatment as consolution. But, finally the crowd was dismissed and eventually we just spent some for next morning breakfast for the guys.

Ushering into the fourth day of CNY, the atmosphere of gaiety gradually evaporated as most of the friends will back to their works and studies (including me). After having the breakfast, I followed WYik's car "lepak" around and continued seeking for "victim". In fact, we were not looking for the angpow, but just hope for a fostering bilateral friendship by paying a heartfelt visit. And thus, we visited them in duo, so that it won't come to their nighmare and shock of catering the bunches of dozens friends with countless angpow. In the afternoon, we paid a visit to SMing's house, followed by SHoe's. But due to immatch in terms of time, we eventually didn't meet with SHoe. Before our departure back to KL at 12midnight, our last destination would be KPek's house.

The new year always spells the fresh hopes and dreams. Yes, everyone will still have to back to their own stuffs - either tedious or avid, after celebrating the CNY. For those who will undergo the period of turbulence or uncertainty, such as the imminent graduation (including me). Personally, the tidal wave of angst is storming in my soul, as I'm still not very clear with my direction and path. Anyway, I will make a deep consideration before further essential action. My advise is - have some time to ponder meticulously for own future; opt for the auspicious and self-liked beginning with no impulsive trend-follow and pace a nimble feet for the brighter future career. Hopes and opportunities are still in every nook and cranny, I vigorously believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home