Ipoh, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia

At the heart of Kinta Valley. The capital city of the state of Perak. An opposition stronghold. Factory of brilliant people. Desolated through emigration of its inhabitants to other parts of the country and overseas. Yet... it is forever remembered by its people.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Getting to know that many of my university friends have started their next pace into the world of employment. Majority of them are involved in the field of IT, which need to work overtime, and most of them are rewarded with salary below RM2000. This kind of work is too tedious for me, and if possible, I'll try to get rid of it. Perhaps human being are always changing when they are put into different environment or chronological life.

Just take myself as example. While I was in my secondary school life, frankly say that I never thought of my future seriously as my bunch of friends went into science stream, and thus I followed also. During that time, my blissful thinking told me that I was among the most intelligent and it will be an enormous waste if I study in art stream.

After form 5, automatically I would proceed to 2-year pre-u studies in Form 6. And being a 18-year-old youth who full of aspiration to become a respectful doctor, thus I adopted biology class to achieve my rosy hope. And I'm so grateful knowing my Form 6 friends in ACS Ipoh, where I could still remember my first day in 6RA vividly. The first person I encountered, if not mistaken, was either fooji or voonchin, who sat besides me. Then later I knew the dudes who sat far far away in the right back corner in the classroom - our monitor boonteong, pang who kindly help us to shifted the chairs with his solemn face, as well as kokming and munfoo. The left back corner, however, was occupied by our Mr.Kiasu Alan Koay, Jesse, Poong and Jian Woei. And centre back seats were monitored by 3 man-in-black - Jason, Benedict and Ruben. I whispered to cheeyen: these group of guys maybe the most naughtist, rebellious and never study hard, because normally the hardworking one will sit in front.

Haha... 2 years really crept swiftly, as it was the time that we pursued to next higher level of education. And of course, I was mentally changed also in these 2 years, as I started realising the medical field might not my cup of tea. Yes, my flying colors STPM result was qualifed for me to pursue to study medicine in any local university. Likewise, the people surrounding me expected me to study medicine. Yet, after sobering thinking, I opted for the world of IT, as I thought that these kind of challenges would more suit to me.

3 years of university life was totally different with the previous school time. As many other undergraduates, I was burdened with deluge of assignments and tests, and we hardly found enough time for final exam preparation, yet we still could pass the exams and score well. Another different lifestyle was we could sleep until 10 or 11'o clock in the morning if our lecture classes are in the afternoon.

3 years in university also provided ample room and exploration to know this money-obsessed world, especially for us who studied in KL. Being the capital city of Malaysia, KL is undoubtedly full of excitement and exhilaration. In a nutshell, you can request for anything in KL as long as you have plenty of pennies on your wallet or purse.

Work in IT world directly links to programming. I'm not hating programming, but I'm not satisfied the life being a programmer who need to work days and nights with less remuneration. In other words, I surely strive my hardest work if I develop the application and system for myself or my own established company. So, in these area of globalisation, I started to equip myself with other knowledge too, like entrepreneurship, business, management, marketing, finance, and ICT. Thus, I have participated in some competitions and programmes to upgrade my leadership skills and interpersonal skills. I like working in group, as this is the most effective way to absorb others' knowledge and wits. In fact, I enjoy working in team, and there is a great pleasure to see every members' enthusiasm and feisty vision-shared determination.

So, when someone asks my current situation, I will give them a simple yet eloquent answer: rest for a while first before attending Petronas English Communication Programme in INSTEP, Terengganu on 10-23 April. The training will be followed by the call of interview by Petronas HR Department. It's confirmed that Petronas has phrased out the IT Department and opted for outsourcing. So possibly they won't need much IT scholars. Of course I will attend their interview and notify them with my willingness to work in other departments like business planning & development, marketing and trading, project management, administration & general affairs or human resource management. I hope to work in Petronas due to its lucrative remuneration and plenty of allowances, 5-day working time without overtime, high chances to travel overseas, nature of business and environment, and of course its title as the most biggest and profitable company in Malaysia. Not only that, its flexible time also greatly allows me to efficiently embark upon other meticulous plan. If they choose to release me without any compensation, then I'll like other undergraduates and start seeking for IT jobs in KL and Klang Valley. Life is not easy in KL, as days will be very hard to stuggle if stay jobless for even a short period.

Just leave to fate to determine my future... Nevertheless, I have expected the year of 2004 is my turbulent career year, and I'm ready to face it with calm. Preseverance will prevail, I vigorously believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home